Parents Victoria works towards the advancement of education by supporting and representing parent clubs and parents in Victorian Government schools. This is done in a number of ways:
- Provision of information and support via a telephone and email information and referral service;
- Up to date informative website and facebook page;
- Parents Voice newsletter 4 times a year
- Parent Club Toolkit
- Quality resources & information sessions - both face to face and online;
- Policy Manual developed by members and updated annually
- Annual conference
- Provision of support for parents requiring advocacy assistance when dealing with issues involving their children's education. This may involve providing tools for self-advocacy or facilitating the mediation of the issue between the family and the school and/or the Department of Education;
- Advancing the parent/school partnership - encouraging parent engagement, identifying barriers which may prevent participation and strategies to overcome these barriers;
- Encouraging and supporting parents to volunteer at their child's school and for schools to recognise and value their volunteers;
- Lobbying for improvements in school education including school facilities and resources, teacher education and curriculum so that students are able to achieve their potential in a safe and supportive learning environment;
- Contributing to the development of new Government policy, programs and initiatives via consultation and the provision of feedback;
- Working in partnership with other organisations on common goals;
- Affiliation with the Australian Council of State School Organisations.
For families needing support for an issue or concern at their local government school, contact Parents Victoria.